This went terribly!!!
I did no practice, I just started on the paper – turns out that was not a good idea!
I first mapped out only the lines, following the pattern I made when drawing the sculpture straight on. But the shape didn’t make any sense. So i blocked in the white to see how that would look.
That looked slightly better, but still very terrible.
The I thought well it’s not working so I’ll just add grey shading and see what that does.
I used a white posca pen to do the white, because it is smoother and faster than acrylic paint, for these experiments.
Laying the structure on top and underneath the paint layers. Although this was hard to do because the painting was so dense with brushstrokes and I hadn’t planned it.
White colour. Contrasts well against everything else.
Blocking in areas in white of the shape. Actually works surprisingly well. It makes the shape make more sense as a design. If the sculpture had less blocked areas, filling in with white would be less obtrusive.
Grey shading. Helps to create dimension, but if the drawing and sculpture is good enough, it shouldn’t need it!
Wobbly legs. Just use a ruler! The more exact the better. For some reason all the things I learnt, such as exactness and measuring from last term went out of the window.
The whole thing! The sculpture is not drawn accurately enough to make sense and so it fails.
The angle of the sculpture and where it is placed. Needs to be planned and considered. Having a less confused painting underneath would help with this.
Scale. The bigger the more all encompassing and vast. But I knew this, and I will be going bigger v soon.
Plan my next attempt! Use digital editing to do so.
Practice drawing the sculpture at these angles in my sketchbook.