There is definitely a visual difference between the paintings I have done from sketches, and the paintings done from photographs. Paintings from photographs I think look far more confident in brushwork, colour palette and paint application. But I think the paintings done from sketches are also a lot more mysterious somehow. They seem more ephemeral, […]Read more "Comparing photo reference paintings with sketch reference paintings"
I took what I had learnt from the test painting to complete this painting. What Works Two shades of white – blue tone and ochre tone Adds subtle dimension and light to the piece. I applied white without any Liquin so it was a much thick application than my tester or previous paintings. I did this […]Read more "Finished duvet painting"
I decided to do a small test piece before doing a larger painting of a person lying under the duvet. I wanted to see how I could translate this pattern onto the painting, and doing this test allows me to make improvements before working on a big scale. So I used very similar technique to […]Read more "Test painting for larger piece"
I am pretty happy with the outcome of this painting! I have learnt so much from the process and it shows real potential. I applied what I learnt from the shadow test paintings towards the end of the painting, which really helped complete the piece. What works The duvetI chose to add pattern to the […]Read more "Finishing another experiment"
This painting took me weeks to finish. This is due to the lack of reference images (- no photographs and quite vague sketches) so I had to make choices based on instinct and habit and intention, instead of following what was there in real life. I took lots of time between painting sessions to give […]Read more "Experiment finally finished"
For the first experiment, I used a process that I thought made sense for the scene:Underpainting with darker lines for edges of walls etc in thinned oil paint. Then apply colour to everything and shadows. Then add shadow colour (cadmium red + french ultramarine + burnt umber), thinned slightly with Liquin and buffed in with […]Read more "Painting shadows in rooms"
I did these two wax sculptures as part of a sculpture workshop. I worked from a sketch for each sculpture. I’m not happy with the results, I think you can hardly tell what they are, especially since the wax is so light. However it is still worth recording, and could prompt some more three dimensional […]Read more "Carving Wax Sculpture Workshop"
This project is conceptually moving at a slower pace than projects I’ve worked through in the past. It feels as if I am am finding my way in the dark more so than previous work processes.By this I mean each painting is not straight forward but a journey itself. Before this project a painting would […]Read more "Project thoughts"
This experiment on un-stretched canvas, I wanted to try painting on a different textured surface. Underpainting in thinned burnt umber. Based on same collection of sketches as previous painting. What I’m trying with this piece Thinning the paint with Liquin. This means I can apply lots of thin layers that dry faster than normal and […]Read more "Painting #6 In progress"
This is the first experiment I’ve done based on a series of sketches in my flatmates room. It was the first time I could apply what I learnt completing the life drawing paintings to a subject that has more purpose behind it. The process I did an underpainting in burnt umber thinned with turpentine.I then applied […]Read more "Painting #5 Experiment"